Thursday 9 August 2007

For the Audience of One

I can't remember where I first heard this expression, but it's one that has stuck!

I was sat in my lounge recently - with my guitar, worshiping - just me & God. During that time, I was gently reminded again of why it is I do what I do; you see, I had forgotten.

There is a lot of preparation that goes into a Sunday service; choosing the songs, communicating the list with the rest of the team, practicing the arrangements; then getting to church early, setting up the stage, PA & instruments, tuning & sound checking, then final rehearsals; all before we pray & get changed, ready to start the worship service.

Of course, once the service starts there is a whole new set of "balls to juggle"; listening to God (trying to find the "flow"), communicating any spontaneous changes in song structure with the rest of the band (as they happen), trying to ensure the congregation know where we're going; making sure the children leave in time for their ministry & worship is finished to give the Senior Pastor (or whoever's preaching) their allotted time.

In amongst all of the mechanics of making a Sunday service happen, I had lost my primary focus. So, as I sat in my lounge with my guitar, worshipping with tears on my face, I remembered that first & foremost, my worship is "for the audience of One", that is Jesus Christ.

I want to encourage you (whatever your involvement in the worship service), to never lose site of why you are there, or who it is you're there for. Let all of your service overflow from the abundance of having spent time with Him. To those involved in leading worship especially, begin by leading your own heart - at home, when no-one else is looking. So that whether you find yourself "all alone, or in a crowd", your worship will firstly be "for the audience of One".

No comments: